In observance of Memorial Day, all Arbella offices will close at 5 pm on Friday and will reopen on Tuesday, May 31st. This includes Customer Service and the Drive-in Claim Centers. As always, if you need to report a new loss or have an emergency claim need, you may reach us by calling 1-800-ARBELLA (272-3552) or clicking here to file a claim.

College Dorm
College Dorm

College Student FAQ

Insurance for your children away at school can be tricky…so, we’re here to help! Whether they’re in on campus housing or an off campus apartment, have their car at school or left it at home, we can tell you if they’re covered or need some extra protection. Here are some common questions we get from parents wanting to make sure their kids have the insurance they need.


Does my homeowners policy cover my child’s personal property while they’re living in a dorm?

Yes! Your child is covered for up to 10% of your personal property coverage.

What about an off campus apartment?

It depends…Is the apartment permanent or temporary? Full time students living away from home during the school year are still residents of their parents’ households.

Here are some other questions that can help you figure out if your child’s residence is temporary or permanent:

  • Does your child live in their apartment year round (including summer break)?
  • Does your child live there during the semester(s) but come home for breaks?
  • Does your child have a bedroom at home?
  • Is your child’s car registered at home or to their apartment?
  • Where is their voter registration?

Does Additional Living Expenses coverage (ALE) apply if my child’s dorm is damaged and they can’t live there anymore?

It’s unlikely. Since the dorm isn’t considered your child’s full time residence, expenses are not covered while your child is living somewhere else.

Does my homeowners policy cover my child for liability while they live in a dorm? What about an off campus residence?

Yes, to both! If your child is a college student temporarily living in a dorm, they’re covered.

Under normal circumstances, a college student temporarily living off campus qualifies for coverage as long as they’ll be returning home at the end of the school year or semester.

However, if the move is permanent, you should consider renters insurance.

My child brought their car to school in a different town/state/country. Do I need to update the garaging?

No. Since your child is temporarily living elsewhere (while attending college in the US, US territories and possessions, Puerto Rico, or Canada) they do not need to update their address for garaging purposes as long as they’ll be returning home at the end of the school year or semester.

To review your child’s current coverage or discuss your family’s coverage needs, call your local, independent agent today.