Car Insurance FAQ

You've got questions, we've got answers!

  • Do I have to pay a deductible?
    Following an accident, your deductible may apply, be waived, or be reimbursed, depending on liability, the coverage you purchased, and state regulations. If you suffer a comprehensive loss—that is, a claim for reasons other than a collision—your deductible will always apply..
  • Will I be charged with a surcharge?
    Massachusetts regulation requires us to issue a surcharge when you are deemed more than 50% at fault for an accident and when certain payment thresholds are reached for certain coverage types. You may appeal the surcharge by following the appeal instructions on the back of your surcharge notice.
  • What if the body shop finds supplemental damage?
    Cars are getting more and more complex, so sometimes the appraisers can’t catch everything when examining the vehicle. If further damage is identified during the repair process, the body shop can contact Arbella to request a supplement. Arbella’s appraiser will review the damage and if appropriate, Arbella will issue a check for the supplemental damage.
  • Am I covered for a rental car?
    At Arbella, we understand that you still need to get around while your car is being repaired. Your Claim Service Specialist will discuss your rental needs and your rental coverage with you. We’ve partnered Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Hertz Corporation to make sure the process goes seamlessly.
  • What if the accident results in a total loss?
    A vehicle is considered to be a total loss when the appraised cost to repair plus expected salvage value exceeds the actual cash value of the vehicle. If you think this may be the case, please be sure to let your Claim Service Specialist know right away, so that damages can be mitigated and your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

    If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, we will determine the Actual Cash Value (ACV), which is the pre-accident market value of your vehicle. Your Claim Service Specialist will review this with you and discuss the payment amount to which you are entitled. Having your lienholder information or title handy will help to expedite the settlement and payment process. If your vehicle is at a tow yard or auto body shop collecting storage charges, we will work with you to have it moved to a secure storage location.

  • Should I report injuries to my Claim Service Specialist?
    Yes! It’s important that you let us know right away about any injuries sustained or medical treatment needed due to the accident. Your Claim Service Specialist will work with you from start to finish to collect detailed information about the injuries, any medical treatment that may be needed, and what injury coverage might be included in your auto policy..