Arbella Celebrates 2019 Philanthropic Initiatives
The Arbella Insurance Foundation continued to support anti-distracted driving programs, launched new initiatives and celebrated milestones with charitable partners
QUINCY, Mass., January 20, 2020 – The Arbella Insurance Foundation (“Foundation”) is proud to announce the donation of more than $2.5 million in 2019 to support 731 different charitable organizations throughout New England. In 2019, the Foundation continued to see a steadfast commitment from Arbella Insurance Group (Arbella) employees and independent agents to aiding the needs of the community. The Foundation received recognition for its support of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and launched a new initiative for local schools. In addition, safe driving remained a top priority for the Foundation and many of the Foundation’s charitable partners celebrated milestones in 2019.
“2019 underscored our ongoing commitment to our communities,” said John Donohue, chairman, president and CEO of the Arbella Insurance Group and chairman and president of the Arbella Insurance Foundation. “Our employees and our independent agents continue to make a meaningful, positive impact in our local communities where they see a need. We want to make our communities stronger and safer, and I am grateful to see that giving back remains at Arbella’s core each and every day.”
The Foundation finds great value in working with and supporting Arbella employees and independent agents who volunteer their time and provide in-depth insight into the needs of the local community. Because of this, funds from the Foundation have a direct impact on those in need spanning a wide range of charitable organizations addressing various causes including youth and families, health and wellness, homelessness and hunger, veterans, safe driving, arts and culture, climate change, cybersecurity and immigration.
Highlights among the Foundation’s 2019 charitable giving initiatives include:
Arbella employees and independent agents make an impact
- The Foundation and the employees of the Arbella Insurance Group donated more than $278,000 in support of a range of causes that were meaningful to Arbella’s employees, including the annual Dana-Farber Cancer Institute fundraiser known as “Pink Day."
- Arbella’s independent agents and the Foundation together donated more than $602,000 in support of more than 221 local causes. Arbella’s independent agents are actively involved in their communities and help the Foundation identify local institutions in need such as schools, YMCAs, food pantries, social service agencies, arts and culture organizations and health research organizations.
- Arbella's Foundation organized 51 volunteer events to support 11 different organizations in which 322 Arbella employees participated during the workday. Employees volunteered their time by writing well wish notes for students to accompany donated back packs, assembling snack bags for youth attending the South Shore Y Germantown branch during school vacation weeks, serving meals at homeless and veterans shelters, planting and harvesting a garden for a food pantry, planting flags in Boston Common in memory of veterans during Memorial Day weekend and answering phones during the Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon, among other activities.
- In 2019, the Bearingstar Insurance Charitable Fund, a part of the Arbella Insurance Foundation, donated $91,980 to organizations throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut that provide a wide range of social services and community programs to support families and individuals.
Recognition from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- The Foundation, along with the Arbella Insurance Group, was the recipient of the 2019 Boston Red Sox Jimmy Fund Award, given in recognition of the Foundation’s exceptional long-term commitment to the lifesaving mission of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and its steadfast partnership with Dana-Farber. Donohue accepted the award at Fenway Park during the 18th annual WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon on August 20. Additionally, the Foundation earned the privilege to be recognized as part of the Founders Society of Dana-Farber.
Expanding access to school field trips
- The Foundation launched a new initiative to give schools support in funding educational and cultural field trips. The Field Trip Transportation Program encourages Arbella employees and independent agents to invite schools to apply to the Foundation for a $400 grant. In its first year, the Foundation supported 70 field trips (equal to $28,000) to the Museum of Science, Providence Performing Arts Center, Boston Freedom Trail, Plimouth Plantation and UMass Women in Engineering, among others.
Dedication to safe driving
- The Foundation built upon its long-standing commitment to keeping drivers safer on the roads providing $581,374 to the following causes:
- Distractology, a key program of the Foundation, has educated more than 19,400 new drivers in New England on the dangers of distracted driving since 2010.
- The Norfolk County District Attorney’s Team Rival Peer Leadership Challenge by sponsoring a distracted driving safety competition that 1,897 students at 17different high schools completed.
- The Live Nation Designated Driver initiative through the volunteerism of Arbella employees who serve as a crucial component to the success of this program.
- The Foundation provided funding for a new initiative, Drive Smart Southcoast, a distracted driving diversion program developed by the South Coast Youth Courts and local police departments.
Celebrating milestones with our charitable partners
- Heritage Museums and Gardens 50th anniversary: The Foundation recognized its enduring partnership with Heritage Museums and Gardens by sponsoring its 50th anniversary season. The Foundation supports the unique educational and cultural experiences offered by Heritage and its community-reaching initiatives such as its new sensory garden, family programs and gatherings for young adults.
- Cape Abilities’ 50th anniversary: Providing jobs, homes and other services and support for people with a broad range of developmental and intellectual disabilities across Cape Cod celebrated its 50th anniversary. In addition to sponsoring its gala, the Foundation provided in-kind public relations and marketing services, securing coverage of its worker program on local television and increasing awareness of its initiatives through a social media campaign.
- Landmarks Orchestra celebrates 90 years of concerts at the Hatch Shell: The Foundation sponsored one of the free concerts presented by Landmarks Orchestra as part of its annual summer series.
For more information about the Arbella Insurance Foundation, please click here.
About the Arbella Insurance Group and the Arbella Insurance Foundation
Established in 1988, the Arbella Insurance Group (www.arbella.com) is a company with more than $800M in revenue with approximately $1.5B in assets, headquartered in Quincy, Massachusetts. Arbella is a customer-focused regional property and casualty insurance company, providing personal and business insurance in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and business insurance in Rhode Island and New Hampshire. The Arbella Insurance Group founded the Arbella Insurance Foundation in 2004. Recognized as one of the Boston Business Journal’s “Top Charitable Contributors” for eleven consecutive years, the mission of Arbella’s Foundation is to engage in activities and to support not-for-profit organizations that have a significant positive impact on the people and communities served by Arbella.
# # #
For more information: