Arbella Celebrates 2017 Corporate Giving Initiatives
Arbella Insurance Group Employees and Charitable Foundation Work Together to Support Causes and Communities Throughout New England and Beyond
QUINCY, Mass., March 5, 2018 – The Arbella Insurance Foundation (“Arbella Foundation”) is proud to announce the donation of more than $2.5 million in 2017 to support 626 different charitable organizations throughout New England and in support of disaster relief beyond the northeast. Arbella Insurance Group (“Arbella”) employees also contributed 2,396 hours to volunteering for 14 different nonprofit organizations throughout New England. The Foundation finds great value in working with and supporting Arbella employees and agents who provide in-depth insight into the needs of the local community allowing the funds to have a direct impact on those in need.
“Giving back to the community is at the core of everything we do at Arbella,” said John Donohue, chairman, president and CEO of the Arbella Insurance Group and chairman and president of Arbella’s Foundation. “I am continuously in awe of our employees’ and our agents’ goodness, compassion and dedication in support of their local charities and for immediately responding to support others affected by disasters like Hurricane Harvey this past year. We are proud to work with such an inspirational group of people and to provide funds from our Foundation to make a lasting impact in our communities and beyond.”
Highlights of Arbella and its Foundation’s 2017 charitable giving initiatives include the following:
- Supporting Arbella Employees in Charitable Giving: The Arbella Foundation and the employees of Arbella Insurance Group distributed more than $209,000 in support of a range of causes that were meaningful to Arbella’s employees. The Foundation donated in support of employees who took part in 61 charity walks and other events and also matched donations made by employees to various nonprofit organizations. Arbella’s Foundation organized 72 volunteer events to support 14 different organizations in which 720 Arbella employees participated during the work day. To further encourage volunteerism, several activities were organized on-site to accommodate employees who are unable to leave the office for an extended time. Employees enjoyed carving pumpkins for New England Wildlife Center and packaging birthday party “goody bags” for Birthday Wishes as they worked along with co-workers.
- Partnership with Arbella’s Independent Agents: Arbella’s independent agents and the Foundation together donated more than $665,800 in support of a variety of local causes. Arbella’s independent agents are actively involved in their communities and help the Foundation identify local needs. In 2017, Arbella’s partner agents together with the Foundation raised close to $30,000 in support of Dana Farber’s Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon.
- Celebrating Charitable Milestones: The Arbella Foundation continued to be a major advocate for homelessness and hunger relief in New England, reaching two major milestones including:
- Arbella’s Foundation continued to serve as a major corporate sponsor for Project Bread’s annual Walk for Hunger for the tenth consecutive year. Together with hundreds of “Team Arbella” walkers, the Foundation contributed close to $1 million in support over local food pantries in Massachusetts over the course of the partnership.
- Fulfilling 10 years of the “Let’s Drive Out Hunger” campaign, Arbella’s Foundation along with Arbella’s partner agents exceeded their goal of raising $1 million and distributing funds to hundreds of food pantries and food programs throughout New England.
- Providing Disaster Relief Aid: Arbella employees and agents showed that their giving goes beyond local in times of disaster. They responded immediately and generously when the Arbella Foundation announced matching gift programs for those devastated by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. Their donations, along with the $50,000 donated by the Foundation, resulted in more than $73,000 in aid.
- Responding to Current Needs: This year, the Foundation supported a number of initiatives that address new, pressing needs across various sectors of society:
- The Foundation provided funding to support the Boston Green Ribbon Commission and its Climate Ready Boston and Carbon Free Boston Initiatives.
- Addressing the growing threat of hacking, the Foundation provided sponsorship funds for the Massachusetts Cybersecurity Forum, hosted by the Mass Technology Collaborative, and a Cyber Security Conference hosted by Boston College. Both initiatives bring together leaders in academia, business, government and law enforcement to coordinate efforts in creating a more secure cyberspace to protect our citizens, industry and government.
- The Foundation responded to the increased need of immigrants and their families by providing additional funding to the Irish International Immigrant Center and the Boston Foundation’s DACA Dream Fund to assist local beneficiaries of the DACA program.
- Safe Driving: The Foundation built upon its long-standing commitment to keeping drivers safer on the roads by supporting:
- Distractology continued to be a key program for the Foundation. Since 2010, the tour has educated more than 15,000 new drivers in New England on the dangers of distracted driving.
- The Foundation also supported the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Team Rival competition by sponsoring a distracted driving safety challenge for 1171 students at 17 different high schools.
- Veterans’ Causes: The Arbella Insurance Foundation and the New England Center and Home for Veterans were honored at the Boston Business Journal’s Corporate Citizenship Awards by receiving a partner award in recognition of the Foundation’s long-standing support of the important work and services provided to all veterans at the Center. The Foundation also supported iPods for Wounded Veterans, Mass Military Heroes’ Fund, Mass Fallen Heroes, and Boston Now’s historic cruise of Boston Harbor for veterans.
- Educational and Cultural Causes: Arbella’s Foundation proudly supported several local programs, including:
- The Foundation supported new initiatives at the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Museum of Fine Arts that introduce these New England cultural institutions to new audiences.
- The Foundation sponsored Quincy Public Schools, providing funding for teacher grants that offer educational enrichment opportunities as well as Sterling Middle School leadership and art programs.
- The Foundation continued support for the Boston Celtics Stay in School program aimed at encouraging perfect attendance during the school year.
- Bearingstar Insurance Charitable Fund: In 2017, the Bearingstar Insurance Charitable Fund, a part of the Arbella Insurance Foundation donated $103,350. Expanding their commitment to Special Olympics CT beyond sponsoring the Torch Run, several Bearingstar Connecticut employees braved the “Over the Edge” and “Polar Plunge” events. Co-workers sponsored their efforts with a financial donation that was matched by the Arbella Foundation. In Massachusetts, a strong partnership formed with Birthday Wishes, a nonprofit that brings birthday parties to homeless children. In addition to financial donations, Bearingstar Massachusetts employees joined together to participate in their annual fundraising event, Cake Walk, and also held an internal donation drive to collect gifts.
About the Arbella Insurance Group and the Arbella Insurance Foundation
Established in 1988, the Arbella Insurance Group (www.arbella.com) is a company with more than $800M in revenue with approximately $1.5B in assets, headquartered in Quincy, Massachusetts. Arbella is a customer-focused regional property and casualty insurance company, providing personal and business insurance in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and business insurance in Rhode Island and New Hampshire. The Arbella Insurance Group founded the Arbella Insurance Foundation in 2004. Recognized as one of the Boston Business Journal’s “Top Charitable Contributors” for ten consecutive years, the mission of Arbella’s Foundation is to engage in activities and to support not-for-profit organizations that have a significant positive impact on the people and communities served by Arbella.
# # #
For more information: