Arbella Celebrates 2014 Corporate Giving Initiatives
Arbella Insurance Group Employees and Charitable Foundation Expand Commitment to Supporting Communities Throughout New England
QUINCY, Mass., February 18, 2015 — The Arbella Insurance Foundation (“Arbella Foundation”) is proud to announce the donation of $2.5 million as well as 1,873 Arbella Insurance Group (“Arbella”) employee volunteer hours in 2014 to not-for-profit organizations throughout New England.
Once again, Arbella employees supported local organizations by volunteering, organizing and contributing to a wide variety of causes. “Allowing employees the opportunity to give back to their communities has always been fundamental at Arbella, yet every year I am astounded by their proactivity, compassion and dedication in support of the local charities that are important to them,” said John Donohue, chairman, president and CEO of the Arbella Insurance Group and chairman and president of Arbella’s Foundation. “We are proud to work with such an inspirational group of people and provide funds from our Foundation to make a lasting impact in our communities.”
Highlights of Arbella and its Foundation’s 2014 charitable giving initiatives include the following:
- Supporting Arbella Employees in Charitable Giving: Arbella’s Foundation distributed more than $108,000 in support of a range of causes that were meaningful to Arbella Insurance Group employees. The Foundation supported employees who took part in 172 charity walks and other events and also matched donations made by employees to various nonprofit organizations. Arbella’s Foundation organized 56 volunteer events in which Arbella employees participated during the work day.
- Partnership with Arbella’s Independent Agents: Together, Arbella’s independent agents and the Foundation donated more than $705,000 in support of a variety of local causes. Arbella’s independent agents are actively involved in their communities, serving on nonprofit boards and fundraising committees, volunteering their time and providing financial support to a variety of charities in their cities and towns.
- Homelessness and Hunger: The Arbella Foundation continued to be a major advocate for homelessness and hunger relief in New England in 2014, supporting a number of local organizations:
- Arbella’s Foundation continued to serve as a major corporate sponsor for Project Bread’s annual Walk for Hunger. Together with 494 “Team Arbella” walkers, the Foundation contributed $95,500 to the Walk.
- The Foundation provided significant funding to the MA Affordable Housing Alliance’s Home Ownership program.
- The Foundation was the presenting sponsor of Interfaith Social Services (ISS)’ Feed the Hungry Gala and provided a significant grant for the charity’s Home Safe program.
- The Foundation donated meaningful funds and in-kind contributions in support of Father Bill’s & Mainspring mission to end homelessness.
- Safe Driving: The Foundation built upon its long-standing commitment to keeping drivers safer on the roads by allocating more than $575,000 to safe driving initiatives in 2014:
- The Distractology 101 tour continued to be a key program for the Foundation. The tour travels New England to educate new drivers on the dangers of distracted driving.
- The Foundation kicked off the third year of its Road Crew program with Live Nation, a responsible driving initiative.
- As the presenting sponsor of the “Be a HERO” designated driver program at Gillette Stadium, the Foundation was proud to have the New England Patriots recognized for having the most designated driver pledges in the NFL.
- Arbella’s Foundation also supported Connecticut-based Mourning Parents ACT, Inc., whose mission is to eliminate tragedies caused by inexperienced drivers.
- Healthcare: Arbella’s Foundation deepened its long-standing commitment to health-related causes in New England in 2014, providing significant funds to many different local organizations, including the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Journey Forward, a non-profit organization dedicated to bettering the lives of those who have suffered a spinal cord injury, South Shore Hospital and the AstraZeneca Hope Lodge Center, a “home away from home” free of charge for cancer patients from out of town.
- Veterans’ Causes: The Arbella Foundation strengthened its relationship with veterans’ causes in 2014 by providing financial support to organizations including the New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans, the 2014 Boston Harbor Islands Veterans Cruise, iPods for Wounded Veterans and Disabled and Limbless Veterans.
- Educational and Cultural Causes: Arbella’s Foundation proudly supported several local programs, including two new initiatives in 2014:
- The Foundation provided grants to schools throughout Massachusetts to subsidize the costs of transportation to attend Boston Symphony Orchestra youth concerts.
- Arbella’s Foundation also sponsored the Boston Celtics Stay in School program, a community initiative organized by the Celtics that partners with Boston Public Schools to incentivize and award middle school students for perfect attendance.
- Advocacy Organizations: Arbella’s Foundation continued to be a strong partner for the Irish International Immigrant Center in 2014, a multiservice center for people from 120 countries providing free legal, citizenship, wellness, education and learning exchange programs. The Foundation supported Greater Boston Legal Services, which provides free legal assistance to low-income residents of Boston and surrounding communities. In addition, the Foundation supported the Disability Law Center and Health Care Advocates.
- Bearingstar Insurance Charitable Fund and Harrington Insurance: The Group’s agencies throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts identified 45 charities that collectively received more than $80,000 from the Foundation in 2014. In addition, $25,000 was donated to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Torch Run in support of the Special Olympics.
About the Arbella Insurance Group and the Arbella Insurance Foundation
Established in 1988, the Arbella Insurance Group (www.arbella.com) is a company with more than $700M in revenue with approximately $1.3B in assets, headquartered in Quincy, Massachusetts. Arbella is a customer-focused regional property and casualty insurance company, providing personal and business insurance in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and business insurance in Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Arbella Insurance Group founded the Arbella Insurance Foundation in 2004. The mission of Arbella’s Foundation is to engage in activities and to support not-for-profit organizations that have a significant positive impact on the people and communities served by Arbella.
# # #
For more information: